Thursday, November 10, 2005

What are we, ethnographic researchers?

OK, you get emotional sometimes when you work in the field. You sometimes break down. I mean, we're all human. When I worked at an NGO, I got through the same thing. Facing all the horrible things that I had never encountered all through my life, I cried every night. Then, I ran away to where I belong. Was there any research done on the activists who gave up on their movement and returned to the typical middle class? NO.

It broke my heart to hear the story of the girl who was isolated because of her disablity and was going through a hard time in today's class. It got me worried thinking of what she would have to go through facing the real world with all her vuneralibity.

Yet, I'm more mad than worried.

What are you, ethnographic researchers? How could you guys quickly turn the issue of the girl into your learning experience as a researcher? Come on. Refer to articles and other ethnographers' experiences, and recommend articles to read? Talk about how to deal with our own emotional issues? I call those people, Boomerang. They're so absolved in themselves that all they think of it is themselves whatever the original issue is. Could we talk about what we could do to make a change to help the girl?

Didn't we talk about "empowerment" for 3 hrs in the beginning of this quarter? Didn't you guys read three articles about it?

Even if you're working on minority groups, that doesn't mean that you're one of them unless you place yourself there. What do your papers about marginalized groups mean?

What are you, ethnographic researchers? I'm ashamed of a group where I belong now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home